5 Ways to Winterize your Backyard
Have you been looking for ways to winterize your backyard? What does winterizing a space mean? Well, depending on where you live and how often you spend your time outside, we can show you how!
If you live in an area of the country where you have already experienced or plan to experience snow, you have a bit more work ahead of you! But none the less, there are still things you can do to spruce up your backyard and winterize in a still usable way. If you live in southern states and want your outdoor area ready for your winter, there are several things you can do as well!
Let's make sure that you take all the proper steps to keep your belongings protected and your outdoor space inviting!
Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow!
Oh, the magic of beautiful little flurries falling from the sky. Even if you are not a winter-loving person, we can all appreciate that first snowfall. But just because it is cold and snowy does not mean that you have to stay inside all winter long!
Step one- Upgrade your entertainment area to create a relaxing and inviting atmosphere. To start, adding a fire pit to your backyard is the best thing you can do in the winter months. Not only is a fire pit an inviting and beautiful aspect of the area, but it creates warmth that you can use in any season. The fire pit acts as a centerpiece that you can sit around, sip hot cocoa, and cook amazing winter meals over.
You are able to move the fire pit to where you need it so that you can accommodate as many people as you need to. This is also a great opportunity to get people out of a stuffy home. We all love to get together, but if you are trying to create a more spacious area, take it outside and let your new firepit's warmth create a perfect area!
If you are more focused on protecting your furniture and what you have, it is important to store things the right way! As you are creating your outdoor oasis for your winter entertaining, here are some tips to keep your other items protected:
- Store all your grills and barbecues inside a shed or garage while keeping your propane tanks in an outdoor space.
- Empty all your hoses and store them in a safe, dry area. You should also store your metal gardening equipment away so it does not rust or corrode.
- For sitting purposes, you have a few options with chairs. If they are plastic, your best bet is to store them in a garage or storage unit to avoid breakage and mold. The heavier iron furniture, you can keep out! This is the perfect furniture to keep around your fire pit. But be sure to get covers for the seats and cushions, so they don't get soaked or moldy.
It goes to show, even in cold and snowy areas, you can still have a fun, entertaining time outdoors!
When Winter Feels like Fall
If you live in the south, you may be experiencing a very different version of winter. Most of the temperatures in areas like South Florida are around the '70s during the months of December and January. This is the time you can really "winterize" your backyard! It is the best time of year to spend time outside without dealing with all the bugs circling your head. If you want to elevate your backyard space, this is the time to do it!
First, let's assess your outdoor space. What do you like about it, and what do you think needs improvement?
Some ideas for your yard this winter are:
- Adding or extending your patio/deck/lanai area. This will allow you to make the space for a versatile area. You can add a fire pit, extra seating, and more.
- Consider new landscaping opportunities. Although you may not run to buy new plants for your yard, you can start landscaping the areas where you want to grow certain items. Start planning a garden or an area for the kids to play. Utilize this convenient time to make the entire yard fitting for your family.
- Get a fire pit and some awesome accessories! A fire pit can add a new entertaining space to your home. Some accessories that you will be able to keep out are log racks, spark guards, and steel tabletop!
There is no reason to get bummed out about a cold winter this year when you have a beautiful outdoor space that you can use in any season! A fire pit is such a great addition to your home. Use it as a focal point, a family cooking night, or a place to sit around and tell your favorite stories. Create experiences all winter long with the ones you love! By winterizing your backyard, you can enjoy what you have whenever you'd like